Entertainment » Television

After Apology, Netflix Boss Explains 'Sense8' Cancelation

Monday Jun 12, 2017

After canceling the LGBT sci-fi series "Sense8," Netflix offered an apology to fans last week, saying it couldn't bring back the beloved series. Hundreds of thousands of fans signed a petition, urging the streaming service to renew "Sense8."

The end of "Sense8" came after Netflix also canceled Baz Luhrmann's hip-hop drama "The Get Down" - a rare move for the company, which is notorious for keeping their original programs running for multiple seasons and giving life to shows other networks canceled. After "The Get Down" got its walking papers, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings doubled down, saying "we should have a higher cancel rate overall." Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos contextualized Reed's comments and explained the cancelation of "Sense8" during the PGA's Produced By conference Saturday, Variety reports.

"Relative to what you spent, are people watching it? That is pretty traditional," Sarandos said. "When I say that, a big expensive show for a huge audience is great. A big, expensive show for a tiny
audience is hard even in our model to make that work very long."

According to Variety, "Sense8" was one of the most expensive shows currently on TV, reportedly costing $9 million an episode. Sarandos praised "Sense8" and "The Get Down," saying producers "made an incredible contribution to our culture with those shows."

Sarandos went on to discuss Reed's comments about Netflix possibly nixing more shows in the future.

"Not to put words in his mouth, but what he meant was that Silicon Valley celebrates failure," Sarandos said of Hastings. "It's one of those things that you know you're pushing the envelope if every once in a while you fall. And you go back and start over again. If you have hit after hit after hit, you question yourself - are you trying hard enough? Are you too conventional?"

Comments

Add New Comment

Comments on Facebook